Show BUSINESS

Have you ever been duped? Hoodwinked? Made a fool? Sometimes in show business producers will try to get an actor/artist to sell their art cheap. There may be many reasons: the two sides have a long standing working relationship, friendship outside of the workplace, etc. What must be kept in mind, is that it is not called Show Family, it is Show Business.

I have not posted in a long time because I'm working on this show at a theater in Brooklyn that has seemed to lose sight of the fine line between show family and show business. This theater employed me a couple years ago in a show The Right Reverend Dupree in Exile. It was a good 2 month experience. A lot was learned in terms of the business aspect of what goes on in theater. That said, I was made to feel like part of a family and welcomed with open arms for future work.

Which brings us to the present...

There are 4 actors in this show, and this week none of us were paid. 3 of the 4 have not been paid for the past 2 weeks and the other has not been paid for the past 3 weeks. The show opened 3 weeks ago, May 3. As someone who prides himself on being professional and to a fault, at times, malleable, I find it to be a slap in the face that I was asked to do this show with a different stage name and have now not been paid for my work.

Show Family vs Show Business.

If you consider someone family, show family by keeping it real with them and being honest about all things when it comes to their questions seeking advice or guidance and matters of their livelihood.

Important rule: Don't play with a man's car, woman or money.

In show business you make sure to follow this rule because word travels fast when money isn't talking. Not only that: in a sense this nonpayment has effected all three stated in the above rule. Granted I do not own a car, but I take the subway, which costs money to ride. My woman is effected because I'm perturbed by this situation and we now have to budget for a week without pay. Thank God, I'm not strapped for cash and she has her own money.

To keep it short and simple: if you appreciate someone's gift and ability enough to employ them, pay them on time and pay them what they deserve. Don't try to get over on them with slick talk, sob stories and past affiliations. If you're an artist with something to offer, be sure to read between the lines that might find themselves wrapped around your throat forming a noose with which to hang you. Friends and family are blessings to have, yes, but like B.I.G. said, "this rule is so underrated, keep your family and business completely separated..."

Life is for learning and I definitely learned a lesson with this show. Now wiser, I hope this post prevents any and all of you from this experience in whatever you do for a living.

Comments

Popular Posts