What Is Important To You?

Are your priorities in order?  Do you know what is needed in your life rather than what is wanted?  Do you know the difference?

If life were a school, I feel like these questions would be on your final exam and would have to be answered after thorough review of what lessons you learned, in order to advance to the next level.


courtesy of comerecommended.com
I've been asking myself these questions lately as I go through this very busy Spring and early Summer season. My time, all 24 hours each day of it, has been budgeted between the stress, wear and tear of doing a show that I've hardly been paid to do, trying to eat healthy foods and stay in shape, get enough sleep, rehearse other projects that I'm very passionate and excited about, work on my music, and enjoying life at home. That list is in no particular order of priority or completion, however, I do find that my budget of time, leaves me feeling overdrawn and longing for a break.


courtesy of karneyhatch.com
 I'm a working artist.  I Love this fact about myself.  Not many artists can call themselves "working artists".  75-80% of my income is earned by acting and singing.  I'm blessed. That said, it is time for me to prioritize, or rather, re-prioritize my life. I find that I'm doing too many things that I want to do and not giving myself enough of what I need. I need, Love, family, friends, and music. That's all.  Seems simple enough, right?  All of those things require time that I have, in a way, irresponsibly spent on things and projects that I wanted... at the time. I wanted so badly to do a show that allowed me to showcase my talents of acting, singing and playing guitar that I didn't listen to my gut telling me that it didn't feel right.  I'm now owed 3 1/3 paychecks from the theater and a returned check fee. 
Want vs. Need.  I need to spend time with my Loved ones and get back to working on my EP, but once again, I take on projects on my days off that I want to do because I like calling myself a working artist.  Taking a day to rest or write a song for my album or do my laundry, doesn't make me less of a working artist.  Remember, work to live instead of living to work.  You'll live longer... unless you get hit by a bus and we know how often that happens.

I'm getting off topic!

courtesy of crossfitbrea.net

I've spend 18 years of my life as an artist (14 of those as a professional), and I have been around the world, made life long friends, experienced life changing moments and have tip toed on the highest high and been under the lowest low, all because of my need to be an artist. Making sure to do things I want to do, gives and has given me happiness or the semblance of it, but doing the things I need to do gives me fulfillment and I rest peacefully at night. Call it the maturation of a man, call it seeing the light, call it a horse of a different color!  Hell, I don't care what you call it!  This realization that it's time to focus on needs instead of wants gives me a new motivation.  When I have Love in my life, which I like to think I always do, I flow like the Ol' Man Mississippi and everything in my life grows and I feel alive.  Love in my life allows me to be with Loved ones, family and friends.  I find that music and lyrics are ever present.  Lately, I've felt that my creative pool has run bone dry as I had cut off the supply needed to keep it full by focusing on wants and neglecting my needs. I feel that my work onstage and attitude toward going to the theater every week has suffered greatly. They say, "Never say never" (whoever they are, they sure do say a lot), so I'll say that I do not intend to repeat that mismanagement of my time. 

Today, Wednesday, June 5, 2013 I am making a pact with myself and you my faithful readers to make sure that I keep a balance in my life of things I want to do and things I need to do.   You'll see that my posts are more upbeat and more frequent. 

 
Lesson learned. 

Comments

Popular Posts