Making A Pit Stop

"I think I can! I think I can! I think I can!"


Photo courtesy of treveccalive.com

Sound familiar?  For all of the little engines that could, can, or at least think we can, this mantra seems to be the coal propelling us forward through the good, the bad, the ups and downs of daily living.  If you're an artist, you live and exhaust yourself because of it.  I know I do.  I often bite off more than I can seem to chew because I love to work and then find myself run down, at times, feeling burned out like your favorite candle when you want and need it most. 

How do you or I prevent that from happening?  Well, the easy answer is to say, "Duh, Brandon! Don't bite off more than you can chew!"  Yeah, I hear you, but for those of you who are NOT artists, you have to understand there's this thing inside those of us who ARE artists, that needs to be fed.  We need to create.  We need to perform.  We need to do it NOW but... we need a little more time to feel good about what it is we are creating before we actually perform it in front of an audience.  Face it, we're a little crazy.  My man Seal said, and I agree with him 100%, "we're never gonna survive unless we get a little crazy".  Think about it, you probably do some pretty weird shit that others would consider crazy when no one is watching or you may enjoy doing those things more when you know you have an audience. Whatever category you fall into, my point is that we all have to feed that engine with something to keep going while learning the art of knowing how and when to pump the brakes.


photo courtesy of iStockphoto.com/Sonja Fagnan
I recently told myself, my family and a dear friend that I cannot WAIT for August 12, 2013 so I can take a much needed break from it all. This year I have taken on project after project after project, some paid, some as favors, some... we won't get into, all so I can feed that engine. That said, my engine needs a break.  I go hard or I go home.  100 mph, throwing caution to the wind, saying "yes" to anything that sounds interesting and challenging, I do my best to live up to the title of "working artist".  I leave early and get home late, often times going days or weeks without taking time to exercise or get enough sleep. Living with me can't be easy and Lord had mercy on those who have tried.  All of that has caused engine wear.  I feel tired, run down, and getting me to start the day is like pulling permanent teeth with butter fingers and imaginary string.  Not easy.  I feel old and cranky when I get home at night.  The lack of professionalism and respect for one's craft I have encountered on my journey pisses me off even when I'm refreshed so imagine the smoke coming from my ears now that I'm due for a tune up. 

Sometimes, we have to ease off the gas.  It's okay to drive the speed limit or a little below it.  Enjoy the scenery and pullover to the shoulder and just take in the sights and sounds you miss when speeding through life living to work.  Instead, work to live and enjoy the life you work so damn hard trying to have.  We are some trying people, aren't we?  "I'm trying to do this... I'm trying to do that..."  Stop trying and just do it.  I had to tell myself that and for once, I'm actually taking my own advice.

Well...

Not until after these next two great projects on which I'm currently working.  The first is a musical spinoff of the hit TV series Scandal  starring Kerry Washington.  The name of the project is Scandusical! Below is a little taste of what the show is:



The second project Monosyllabic written by Tyler Rivenbark.  A married couple attempts to have a conversation in the bedroom in which the wife caught the husband cheating just 4 hours prior.  Yep, it's a comedy.  If you live in Bushwick Brooklyn or are interested in the play and want to check it out, please join us at Mellow Pages August 9-11, 2013.  Seating is limited to 15 people per performance but we may do multiple shows on a given night if need be. 


Photo Courtesy of Mellow Pages, 56 Bogart Street Brooklyn, NY  11206

The finish line, at least for this leg of the race, is drawing near and getting clearer as I approach. This pit stop will be a trip to the garage so that I can recharge my batteries and give my little engine a much needed rest.  During this time I will give attention to my music and those who need it most, myself, my family and my closest friends.  Listen to your body/engine.  You can push it all you want but eventually it wins. Do any and everything you hope to do, just make sure you're enjoying your life as you do it. It's too short of a ride not to.

"Try not to try too hard, it's just a lovely ride."

-James Taylor, The Secret of Life
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts