Shape Up

I have given myself the challenge of working out 4 days per week for 6 weeks to get back into shape.  I'm not overweight nor am I "out of shape" but I want to get back into the shape I was in when I felt energetic every day and didn't mind walking around without a shirt on my body.  The fact that it's winter could have a lot to do with the no shirt issue.  The point is that I've set a goal for myself and so far I have changed my eating habits and have been sticking to my plan to get to where I want to be.  Sometimes we, just like our automobiles, need a tune up for better performance.

How often do you challenge yourself?  Do you get into a groove and find that it is hard to get out of it?  Give yourself a tune up.  It doesn't have to be a physical challenge.  You may be in the best physical shape of your life, but is your life in the best shape it has been in or could be?  I like the saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or "leave well enough alone".  A tune up doesn't mean you're broken or unwell.  Tune ups help remind us to reach our potential.  We have day jobs, families, extra curricular activities with friends or affiliations and time for ourselves is hard to come by in this day and age, right?  Make some time for a tune up.  Take a yoga class to connect with yourself and remember to breathe.  You'd be surprised how often during a day we stop breathing!  I catch myself not breathing at work or in a movie or on a crowded subway and say to myself, "relax and breathe".  It doesn't cost me any money, doesn't take a membership nor does it take too much of my time.  You can also tune/shape up your life in other ways.

Challenge yourself to make it home for dinner with your family every night (if that is important to you).  I know a lot of you have jobs where that isn't always an occurrence (notice I didn't say possible), but tuning up your life can be something as simple as prioritizing the things you do on a daily basis in your life.  Another good example of a tune up could be to teach yourself something new.  If you don't have much time or money, take away the routine from your life by coming home from work via a new route every day for a week or find someone at work to greet in the morning.  You'd be amazed at how this little tune up can actually be a tune up for someone else!  Give it a try, what do you have to lose other than the monotony of your routine?

Whatever you decide to do, approach it with an open mind and have fun doing it.  The object is to set a goal, loving yourself enough to allow yourself reach that goal.   If life has you feeling a little sluggish, put in the time and effort to shape up...You deserve it!




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts