An Artist Prepares Through Truth

Life is so good right now!

I'm grooving to Al Green's "For The Good Times" and my favorite basketball team the University of Kentucky Wildcats just won a much needed tough road game against a quality opponent to better their chances of repeating as National Champions.  I had a great day today.  Work didn't seem like work and the warmer weather gave this big frozen apple called New York City a chance to thaw.  My heart got much needed time with loved ones in the form of chatting, texting, phone calls and the consumption of brownies.  The city was kind today and I even bought all of the groceries I needed for under $40.  There were more smiles on the subway and I was told that I was loved today.


As the song in my iTunes changes to Al's "Love And Happiness", my mind shifts to the task at hand: preparing sides for auditions this weekend.  I'm working on developing the character of Dizzy King in a play called The Obeah Symphony and this is the part of my process I've rarely, if ever, discussed with anyone.  Each role is approached differently as I bring myself to the character and use my experiences and the givens of the script to help flesh out the character into a breathing, walking and living being in the world of the play.  This role is no different.  Dizzy is a young man struggling with demons from his family's history while wanting to do the right thing on his path to man/fatherhood.  He has a job that he doesn't love and a pending audition for Juilliard as he is a musician and songwriter.              


 In the 17 years that I've been an actor rarely have I come across a role that is tailor made for me.  This is that role.  I am an actor/singer/songwriter/musician who is far from in love with his day job and I auditioned for Juilliard when I was 17 years old. All families have a history of strange happenings and mine follows suit.  I'm not a father but as many men in their 30s who have been in a relationship of 3 yrs or longer, I have had the anxiety caused by the possibility of fatherhood and the self doubt it breeds.  Those questions of am I ready and will I pass on to my unborn child my faults and demons, haunted me like any parent to be.  In that sense, I am very near to Dizzy and his situation.  I know him and his shoes have the imprint of my foot inside of them from the many miles walked on my journey.  Now comes the challenging part of making choices that are theatrical and yet true and not general.  The auditions this weekend are for the actresses hoping to play the role opposite me in this production but this is also an opportunity for me to discover the language and posture of this character Dizzy King.  He and I may be similar but how we are different and what that looks and sounds like has been on my mind as I prepare to be a good scene partner for these actresses trying to book work.


Being off book isn't a concern of mine.  People ask, "How do you remember all of those lines?"  It's like learning your favorite song or how to get home from school or work everyday.  My answer is repetition and trust in my craft and the script as the road map to lead me home.  For this weekend I just want to play with the material and make choices in the room that will help me discover things about myself the actor on this journey becoming the character.  I know I can find a lot in the eyes of my scene partner and the energy given to me from them.  Those are things I know. What I don't know is what I'll be given in terms of energy from the actresses, nor do I know what the temperature of the room will be or how it will feel to say Jackie Alexander's words to a real human being and not an imaginary person in my mind or bedroom. Yes, I talk to imaginary people.

I'm full of excitement for this opportunity as my creative juices are freely flowing like the waters of great rivers over a cliff in Niagara.  Musically things are coming together better than ever before and I'm finding more confidence in my music and voice.  Onstage I feel like my choices are strong and I'm listening  more and hearing clearer than in the past which allows me to respond from a true place. My life even feels clearer as I've simplified things and have focused on the truth...

Truth, what a great place in which to strip and live.  If I never leave, let me grow old here dying slowly in these transparent walls, for here lives the best version of me.

Comments

Popular Posts