New York Psalm

Here in the city that never sleeps
Oh pardon me
I didn't introduce myself
I'm Brandon D. or just Boogie
To family and friends
Not kin
See them don't know me like my peeps
My circle's small
Like eyes of needles
At my life they want to peak
Don't want to participate
Are you afraid
Well that's okay
Just like in musical chairs
Please step aside
See someone just took your place
The clock is ticking
Penny pinching
Are you living
Satisfied with what you got
The answer's not
Then try a little giving
Men and men
Women and women
Marvin said please save the children
See them on the train all day
Just looking lost
Maybe their missing
Chances
Their pants are just riding low
Don't know the meaning
Coons on TV made 'em do it
Now they're California dreaming
Sun ain't beaming like it use to
The skies are gray
These winter days
Make us shiver
'Scuse me Mister, can you raise my pay
See my tenant hasn't paid me
And it's been five months
Lived here 10 years
My father's only visited once
Slept on the D when I was homeless
To stay out of weather
8 years and 2 abortions
It was good that I left her
And the kids weren't even mine
You see my mind was so twisted
She had the time of her life
So in Love that I missed it
Like free throws
Beneath those stares and glares
In the cheap seats
And courtside
Celebrities
I take a breath deep
Exhale
Then I bend my knees
Paid the cost and took the loss
The artist life ain't cheap
When we make it here
We brag for at least a year
If you can live off of this Apple
You can make it anywhere.


 

Comments

Popular Posts