Bitter Sweet Beginning

Remember that role I told you about that I want so badly to play?  Yeah, well, I didn't get cast.  I was told by the director of The Haunted Inn, with whom I've worked in the past mind you, that he needed a day to finalize casting when I checked in with him 2 weeks ago... that was 2 weeks after my callback for the role of Itzik.  The time frame should have let me know that I hadn't booked it. Hell, common sense could have told me that.  However, he and I had a working relationship and he was the one who called me in for the role.  I did NOT submit for it.  He had called me in to audition for The Cherry Orchard and when he decided to not cast me, he was prompt in letting me know.  I didn't feel very good about that audition and wasn't at all surprised by that information.  This time was much different.



I gave 115% to this audition and callback.  I went in prepared and made very strong choices during my work with the actresses with whom I played.  This director, let's call him John, seemed to be very pleased and called me back and we worked for 45 minutes during my callback.  The more time they keep you in a room, the better.  They, the people on the other side of the table in the casting process, saw something that they liked or loved and didn't want me to leave because they enjoyed watching me.  For every role in which I've been cast, I've never ever been kept for 45 minutes.  I felt like I was on my A game and all of my choices were landing and my work was top shelf.  Trust me, as an artist, we don't always feel this way in the audition room or onstage.  I was confident that I booked the role of Itzik in The Haunted Inn and put it out into the Universe that I am playing that role.  You even read in my blog post that I was playing the role.  Then BOOM!  On New Year's Eve of 2012 at 10:13 PM, I get a condescending email telling me that "...as I'm sure you surmise, I am not casting you now."  The email went on to state that I'm talented and smart which are things I knew because he had made them known in the past when we worked together and reconfirmed by calling me in time after time and the ultimate insult, "these things have a funny way of working out sometimes, you know." Thankfully a very dear friend of mine reminded me that all of that happened because there is something much better that I am meant to be doing instead of playing that role in that play directed by... John.



I also had been subletting my apartment at the end of the year to help out an apparently nice young lady by the name of... let's call her Ji.  Ji moved into my apartment because she had been having trouble with her then boyfriend and I was also looking to relieve some stress and save a little cash to close out the year and start this year on a high note.  Ji seemed cool and was an easy tenant and gave me no problems.  That is until it was time for her to vacate.  She found a bug on her pillow yesterday morning.  That pillow was in my bed.  That bug was a bed bug.  She didn't tell me about this bed bug.  Keep in mind, I didn't have bed bugs before Ji arrived, moved into, occupied and left my apartment.  Ji decides to tell my roommate about and show him the bug.  She does not call, text or email me about the bug.  Ji instead, texts me the day after she is supposed to be out of my apartment, and asks me if she can have a little more time to move out of my apartment.  I give her 7 extra hours.  She is out of my apartment in 8 1/2 hours.  Not once does she bring to my attention the bed bug.  I receive my keys and she patiently waits for me to return to her the deposit she gave me.  I bring up the found bug and she fumbles and stumbles over excuses and then has the audacity to say I should give her some credit (for what, we still have yet to discover).  I tell her she will not be getting back her deposit until I find out what type of bug was found as I am certain I did NOT have bed bugs before her arrival, occupancy and vacating my apartment. Ji tells me, "...that's a little tricky, but okay..."  She continues, "Let me know what you find out as soon as you can because you have my money."  No, Ji, I have MY money.  We stand in the hall for a few minutes going back and forth and I'm doing my best to not choke slam her and her whatever he is.  She informs me that she doesn't have time to stand and argue with me (even though she moved out a day and 8 1/2 hrs later than expected).  I tell her to get out.  She and her whatever he is, leave. 



My roommate and I talk and come to the conclusion that we need to know ASAP what kind of bug was found and we need to make sure that it wasn't the kind of bug he thought it was when he saw it.  Remember, Ji showed him the bug, not me.  I call my landlord, we'll call him, Leonard and explain the situation.  He gives me the news he's having open heart surgery tomorrow but is very helpful with his advice.  My roommate and I decide to contact and inspector to have our apartment inspected.  The inspector does his job in a matter of 1 1/2 hours and informs us that he found shedding from bed bugs but that there is no infestation and the bugs are fairly new as no eggs have been laid.  He sprays the apartment and informs us of the monetary amount of damage and Miss Ji, will not be getting her deposit.

I'm trying to find the silver lining in this bitter sweet start to the new year.  I'm alive, yes.  I have a job, yes.  I have acting work lined up for the month of March, yes.  I have great true friends, I'm healthy, I have you who follows and faithfully reads this blog, I have my music, I have so much for which to be thankful as I woke up this morning and made it to the year 2013.  I found the bed bugs before they decided to have a house party in my room.  I have no bites, neither does my roommate and I only had to spend a total of $320 for the inspection and treatment.  I am going home to spend time with my family and friends in KY life is wonderful these days.  I'm loved and appreciated and a couple of bumps in the road just remind me that I'm human and even I get pissed off and don't always practice what I preach. 



Do your best this year folks and no matter what comes your way, be thankful for what you've got.  Be it a diamond in the back, sunroof top, while your digging the scene with a gangster lean or just floating on day by day, life is going to test you.  It's going to taste bitter sweet at times, but as long as you have something in your glass, there's a chance the next sip will taste better.

Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular Posts