Booking Work

It's a cold and rainy Wednesday morning here in the city of Manhattan.  I'm still savoring the taste of the turkey bacon, egg and cheese on a cinnamon and raisin bagel while I enjoy the last few sips of my Tropicana orange juice with no pulp.  Today is a big day.  No, not here at my 9-5 desk job, but for my acting career.  I have a callback for a show that I really want to book and I feel confident and secure in the work that I've done to prepare for this evening.  I've had the sides for some time now, I'd say roughly a week and I have read the script.  I have made choices in my mind, but I like to rely on my instincts as an actor and just listen and react when I work.  Tonight will be no different as I hope to do my best and work on a script that I really dig and bring life to its words. 

It's funny, actors spend so much time trying to book jobs that most people don't realize what goes on in our minds before the audition, callback, booking the gig and rehearsal.  Most people only see the performance and the glamour and fame that comes with doing well in our profession.  There's homework that goes into creating a character and observation of people or animals or objects that aid in that creation.  There's exercises that are done to work on the voice, speech and diction.  There's the repetition of reading the material and familiarizing ourselves with it.  There's the deciding which headshot to submit for the role and what to wear for the audition and callback.  All of that has been done.  Tonight, I just go and do what I do and pray that it is in God's will that I play the role for which I'm called back.  I don't feel anxious but I know the nearer the time draws to 7:30 PM, the butterflies with begin to flutter their fragile wings inside of my stomach and I'll have to focus on my breathing, remembering to find my center and relax.  No one does good work when they are tense and not breathing.  We are all at our best when we are relaxed, allowing our bodies and minds to operate with fluidity. 


Knowing that I should be doing my day job work (although there is none to be done), I'm not at liberty to write a lengthy post today.  However, I have researched the New Jersey Transit trains running on the Morris and Essex line from New York Penn Station to Madison, NJ so that I won't be stressed about transportation to my appointment after I leave work at 5:00 PM.  I like to arrive early but not too early.  Getting to the venue 10-15 minutes before my appointment is usually good for me so that I have time to gather myself and get into the zone to work.  My music choice en route to my audition and callback is always important.  I like to listen to Outkast, T. I., Goodie Mob or Kendrick Lamar.  Sometimes I'll listen to myself or to members of the Cold Weirdness team once I've booked the gig.  During the day I'll make sure to eat foods that won't coat my throat with phlegm and drink a lot of water so that my voice is clear. 

Loved ones will check in to make sure that I'm ready for tonight and request that I inform them of how it went as soon as I finish the callback.  There's nothing like the feeling of support from people I Love and who love me.  If music choices and the possibility of doing what I love to do doesn't motivate me, I can always find motivation in the kind thoughtful words of friends and kin.  When I read or hear them say that they are proud of me, are happy for me and that I inspire them, it hits me in my soft spot every time.  You see, I don't just do what I do for me.  I create for all of you.  My music is an extension of my hand, an opening of my heart and soul to share with you the feelings, thoughts and events of my life.  My acting work does not differ in that regard.  Each time I take the stage I want to not only connect with my scene partners in the world of the play, but I want to draw you the audience member, even those of you sitting in the back row or in seats with obstructed views, into that world with us.  To me, there's nothing better than being taken on a journey when listening to music and watching a show or movie.  I hope that the time and effort I put in on a daily basis puts you in the front seat as we go on a journey together when I work.

This evening's callback is fun.  It's exciting and it's an opportunity.  Notice I didn't say "will be fun" or "will be exciting".  I like to think in the present so that I'm not left always reaching for things that I Love.  It's nice to actually embrace and live in the moments when they arrive and enjoy them.  By stating that I will or it will, I'm continuously looking ahead and missing the present.  In the days that follow tonight's callback I will find out if I booked the gig or didn't.  Regardless of the outcome, having passion and contentment in what I do makes the possibility of disappointment worth it.  After all, there's also the possibility that I receive good news after tonight: an offer!

I'll keep you posted!

Comments

Popular Posts