Time Management

Welp, so much for a daily blog, right?!  I tell you, being a working artist with a 9-5 and a social life is time consuming.  These days I find my biggest challenge is time management.  At this moment, I'm working on 3 scripts all of which I am performing, I'm working on my new album and am gearing up for callbacks for a show in which I hope to be cast this week.  This past weekend, I read with the ladies who were called back for The Obeah Symphony.  The last time, if you recall, I felt there were only two who stood out and were memorable.  Those two ladies were called back and did an outstanding job once again to no surprise.  Due to contracts and such, I can't say by name who booked the female lead playing opposite yours truly, but I can say that one of those two outstanding women booked the gig.  All casting for the show is set and we can now begin to prepare for the first rehearsal which is slated for mid April.


As I prepare for the role of Dizzy King in The Obeah Symphony, I've decided to start playing open mic nights to prepare myself for playing music in front of crowds.  I don't open mic much as I am a studio rat.  Some guys are gym rats, I'm a studio rat who is constantly working on music and recording new ideas.  If I had a penny for every idea that came to mind while at work, on the subway or even while hanging with friends, I'd probably have at least $2 extra dollars a week.  Hey, that's a lot!  A penny per idea/thought equals two hundred pennies. What's on your mind?

While thinking and practicing songs for open mic night, I'm also writing material with my producer.  This album is a bluesy hip hop soul fusion album and I just want to do the best I can and great a feel and sound that is authentic and all my own.  At the same time, I have to learn music for The Obeah Symphony in which I will be playing guitar and singing.  Between the music projects for myself, I'm also working with REAL tha Poet on his forthcoming album(s) and he is helping me to write for mine... and that's just the music!

For the stage, along with being cast in The Obeah Symphony, I rehearsed with the cast of ReEntry for our upcoming shows in Philadelphia, PA in early March at the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts.  It'll be good to get back onstage playing familiar characters with friends whom I trust and admire.  This Wednesday, I have a callback for a show in New Jersey which I'm very excited about and have been studying and preparing sides since the initial audition.  It's a very good feeling to be wanted and appreciated.  Never take that for granted, the feeling of appreciation.  Be sure to say thank you to people and to moments and opportunities.  If you believe in God, it's okay to thank Him too. Haha

After the callback in Jersey and the run of ReEntry in Philly, I'll be performing in a script tease with Brass Tacks Theater Collective.  I was recently made a resident artist and founding member of this wonderful collection of brilliant minds and artists whose work I truly admire and by it am inspired.  I have worked with this group in the past but we didn't really have a name in terms of our collection of artists.  We now have a website and will be doing our first script tease, which is just what it sounds like, performing teasers from scripts in progress for audiences.  I will also be playing some original material during the intermission of this event which is two days after my return from Philly!  If all goes the way I would like, I'll be working nearly nonstop from March 5-September of this year.  All of the projects are ones that I'm passionate about doing and I hope those of you who follow this blog and live in the area will find time to come out and support yours truly and my fellow artist friends during that time. Life is good and we have a lot to share with you.

Until next time!

Comments

Popular Posts