Creating A Role: The Early Stages


It's 25 degrees in the sun as I step off of the A train and ascend the stairs to the street at the Nostrand Avenue stop in Bedford Stuyvesant Brooklyn, New York. While walking to the Billie Holiday Theater to read with actresses auditioning for the role of Tanya in Jackie Alexander's new play The Obeah Symphony in which I am creating the role of Dizzy King, I'm taken back to 2011 when from April through the end of June I walked this route on Fulton Street nearly every day while creating the role of Brendan Dupree in Jackie's play The Right Reverend Dupree in Exile which played the same venue. The faces are familiar as I stroll in the bitter cold but the attire is much different from the shorts and short sleeve shirts worn during that Spring of '11 by those whose faces I recognize on my walk, while Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" plays at a reasonable level through my black beats by Dre headphones.


I get to the theater, and enter through the revolving door to the lobby of the "BHT" as it is known by those who have worked there in the past. Making my way through the lobby, where I took one of my favorite pictures with my mom, I see the signs for the auditions leading me through the wooden double doors to backstage. I hear the voices of Jackie and resident stage manager Avan as I enter the theater giving daps, hugs, and handshakes. The occasion is new but the feeling is familiar. Jackie and I discuss what we have been up to since we last saw one another in 2011 and Avan quietly stands by listening, occasionally throwing in his welcomed two cents.


The hour strikes noon and it's time for the first actress to read. Even though I'm playing the role of Dizzy I feel a little nervous because this is the first time I will have said these words onstage with another actor in front of the person who penned them. I take a deep breath, go over the sides (as there are two), and take my place onstage.

The first actress was a nice young lady who by first impression, seemed a little nervous herself and also very small and young for the role. I am no giant, however, I towered over this young lady. We read through the first side (or scene for those of you not familiar with the lingo), and then the next scene was read. As we read, I begin to play with how Dizzy says certain things, how he listens and walks, stands and sits. Does he move in to make a point or does he let his words suffice? How does he react to touch? What does it look and feel like when he touches Tanya? All of these things are what I'm working on as this young lady auditions. Yes, it's her audition but let's not forget that I'm an artist and I am creating this role. Any chance to work on it is welcomed and this is no exception. My choices are strong but not so bold as to throw her off as I'm respectful of the fact that she may not have had a chance to read the script and this time is hers. I only listen and react to what she gives me making the time on the stage about her work. We finish the scenes and shake hands wishing each other well and she leaves the stage. Now, you're probably wondering if I thought she was good or bad. I'm not a director or talent scout. I only have 17 years of experience as an actor so... I'll just say, I was glad there were other women auditioning after her.


That said, I was reminded of something as we worked through the scenes with these actresses. During an audition or job interview, remember to take your time. That's why it is YOUR audition or interview. If you have the script in your hand, use it. It is there to help you. No one is expecting you to be off book and know the lines cold. They just want to see what choices you make with the material and how well you listen to your scene partner. If you are NOT very strong with accents and dialect work, read the lines in your natural dialect and if there is a coach for the show, they will work with you should you land the role. All of that is said to say, do your best while not trying too hard. Relax, listen and react.


Reading with actress after actress each time I find myself getting more comfortable in Dizzy's skin. I hope that helps the actresses during their auditions. I learn lines quickly through repetition and movement. Having "walked through" the scenes a few times by the time the fourth and fifth actresses auditioned, I feel confident in what I'm saying and remind myself this is a long process. The first rehearsal is in April and opening night is May 3, we have plenty of time to be performance ready.

The fourth actress is strong. Strong choices, strong voice, strong physically. She is able to to take her time and lift the words off of the page as we read the scene. There's a warmth in her smile and strength in their eyes that let's me know she came to play and that she can handle the task of Tanya should she book this role.


 The fifth and final actress was a very pleasant surprise! I had met her a couple years ago in Columbus Circle to receive a script from her for a reading I was scheduled to do. Scheduling conflicts arose and prevented us from working together but we had crossed paths via Poetic Theater, a company run by my friends Alex and Jeremy, a few times since then. I recently enjoyed her work in Eboni Hogan's play, Foreign Bodies, which was in the festival Poetic License produced by Alex and Jeremy. I hand the actress the sides and greet her. She was actually there to audition for a different show but I saw her headshot and convinced Jackie to give her a shot at reading Tanya. I'm so glad he listened to and trusted me!  This actress took her time, listened and simply reacted. She was strong, yet soft, easy but not a pushover. We only read the first scene and I along with the other people sitting in the house observing were very pleased and surprised by her work. She had only read through the scene once with me in the hallway and stepped onstage and knocked it out of the park. Her work also allowed me to hear the lines fully as we connected beat to beat and moment to moment driving the scene without pushing it.

When the day started Dizzy was a character I had only realized in my apartment. After auditioning these ladies I was able to begin bringing him to life. Tanya is the only role to be cast and I'm excited by this process knowing that no matter who is chosen of the actresses who were seen, she will come to work prepared and will make me better in the process. I'll keep you posted!

Comments

Popular Posts