Christmas Movie Life

Art climbed the ladder, saw in hand and began to cut down the family Christmas tree for the girls as they watched while standing in the gravel driveway on a cold winter afternoon in Harwinton, CT. I stood close holding the ladder feeling as though I was in the 2012 version of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. At any moment I expected Art to yell out my name like Clark yelled for Russ.

As an actor, I would love to be in a Christmas movie. Everything is heightened. People are a little nicer, choirs sing a little more harmoniously, the weather is a little more frightful and fires are actually more delightful. The spirit of Christmas seems to make jokes funnier and brings families closer together or in some cases pushes them farther apart than they were before that distant relative no one likes comes to stay for what seems like an eternity. Christmas movies give you all of these scenarios and more!

My favorite movie in the genre, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, certainly has the whole experience of Christmas. The joy, the anticipation, the dread, the disappointment, the elation and more. If you haven't seen it I suggest you give yourself a gift this year by watching it. It is the kind of movie I want to make. At this time of year we seem to have lost sight of the true meaning of Christmas. Christ. Relax, I'm not about to get preachy.  It's just a reminder that this time of year is to celebrate the birth of Christ, not to see how much money we can spend to buy tons of gifts.  I mean, c'mon, Christ makes up 3/4 of the word Christmas.

That's the beauty of Christmas movies.  They have a message that reminds you that Christmas is about much more than the chaos that ensues from Black Friday to December 26th.  It's about family, friends and those we love coming together to celebrate being present in each other's lives in all of the hilarious ways imaginable.  In my Christmas movie I want there to be all of those elements: great music, a ridiculously funny cast, great spectacle, and a heart warming message.  Who knows, maybe one day I'll make a movie like this and it will be a classic like National Lampoon's, or How The Grinch Stole Christmas-the animated version, sorry Jim!  If I can make it a claymation movie, even better!!!  Who doesn't love seeing Rudolph or the land of misfit toys at this time of year?  It doesn't matter what your religious beliefs are, these films are timeless and can appeal to anyone regardless of race or religion.  That's the kind of movie I want to make.

Since today is Christmas Eve, hug your loved ones a little tighter and sing your carols a little louder.  Leave your lights on for Santa a little longer and go ahead and have that extra piece of sweet treat.  Laugh at the uncle sleeping on the couch from drinking too much egg nog and eating too much food.  Enjoy yourself, be safe and be on the lookout for the next great Christmas movie made by yours truly.




Comments

Popular Posts