Christmas Vacation

I'm already running 10 min late and I'm not even fully dressed! I have water dripping down my back, I'm wearing one sock on my right foot and I can't see a damn thing because I don't have my contacts in and my glasses are broken. No time to waste. I run around like I'm in a scene from Home Alone scrambling to get out the door. There's Christmas music on the radio and a kitten pouncing at my feet, attacking them nearly tripping me. Then I stop breathe and get myself together remembering, "one thing at a time" as my motto. I put on my shirt, tie, and sweater, the other missing sock, and gain the gift of sight by putting in my contacts. I'm fresh to death looking good but still rushing because I have to pick up my best friend after packing the car and I'm now 12 minutes late!

I finally pack. Everything's in the car ready to go. I grab the kitty and lock the door. We're out and hit the road. On the way to pick up my bestie, the kitten decides she's not fond of riding shotgun, she'd rather jump down into the floor of the car. Meanwhile, traffic is congested and people are walking out in front of me like I'm parked. I'm switching lanes, these damn Christmas songs are blaring on the radio, and the kitty decides to climb my leg using her 2 month old sharp claws, so that she can sit in my lap. I'm 15 minutes late! How the hell...?

I get to my homegirl's job and scoop her up and we hit the highway. The kitty's bugging out thinking I'm taking her back to the Bronx where she was born and purchased, but she needn't worry. We're heading to Connecticut. On the way we pass the exit for Sandy Hook. As we pass the exit I'm looking for signs of mourning or wreaths to honor the victims of the recent elementary school massacre. We spot a wreath and it hits me... Little boys and girls who attend Sandy Hook Elementary will return to school different people. Adam Lanza didn't only take the lives of innocent children, his mother, a principal,  and teachers, he changed the lives of those kids going back to school. He forever altered the lives of those whose loved ones were called home sooner than we all would have liked.

The conversation shifts to work. Not acting work, mind you, the 9-5. I've come to question the reason I'm working there other than my friends and the paycheck. The shit I was hired to do was supposed to take 2 weeks. It's been 8 months. Who's complaining? Not this guy. Thank God I have a job and am playing the role I want so badly. I mean, they are calling me and offering to me the role and I am accepting.

Oh damn, we're about to run out of gas. Stop at the gas station about 5 minutes from our destination, refuel and get back on the road. I'm excited to see the friends. We pull into the driveway, hit the horn lightly and one of the warmest and friendliest families I've ever met, comes out to greet us and shower us with hugs and smiles.

Inside we get the kitty situated and I have sweet potato soup. The 7 of us pile into the van and go to this gorgeous church in Torrington, CT and are treated to a beautiful afternoon of choral singing. The narrator of the evening looked like Santa and was just as jolly. My best friend's mom introduces me to him. He and I talk briefly. From one actor to another, he suggests I read books on tape and tells me that in NYC there are weekly auditions at Strand Books on Broadway near Union Square. I thank the kind Sir and we all go out for a drink (sans Santa) at this great place called Backstage which is actually next to a theater. I have an unsweetened iced tea because I'm not a big drinker and conversation goes from bourbon and whiskey to the the the film Lincoln. We then head back to my besties's abode and play with the kitty, ate, wrapped some gifts and threw darts. I was busting their asses at first. Then my homegirl got right and beat me 4 out of 5 games.

She had pinpoint accuracy: able to hit what she needed to win and she rubbed in like salt in a wound. Who cares, she did a great job! A rematch is in order.

What a great way to start off the holiday. Tomorrow, it's chili, football and more friends. You can't beat that with a stick. This Christmas Vacation is just what the doctor ordered: good people, good food and good times! It's not everyday you meet Santa and he tries to help your acting career.

Happy Holidays!!!

Comments

Popular Posts